By Andrea Cristina Mercado, Executive Director of New Florida Majority
Ahead of Florida’s primary elections, New Florida Majority shared a brief update of its dynamic work to mobilize communities of color to make their voices heard at the ballot box. Read the report below and, as just one example of NFM’s powerful civic engagement work, check out their mural of Florida Governor candidate Andrew Gillum, captured here on video.
New Florida Majority endorsed Andrew Gillum for governor back in June, launched a Florida PAC, the New Florida Vision PAC, and we’ve already knocked over 20,000 doors, sent over 80,000 texts, and with just days to go to the primary, we are throwing down hard focusing our efforts in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Duval Counties. The best-liked candidate for the nomination, Andrew’s numbers are surging with the latest poll putting him in second place overall, and first among young voters.
We’re bringing what we do best – to #BringItHome with a unique presence and a memorable message that culturally resounds in our communities of color:
- a striking mural of Andrew in Wynwood by Disem, and one coming soon in Liberty City, Miami;
- a joyous Chiva bus calling everyone to early-vote with music and loudspeakers in Hialeah and Doral;
- Tamales and Taco Tuesdays in Broward;
- A weekend Brunch & Vote event with young professionals;
- a BBQ in Jacksonville;
- a #WingItHome “wings ‘n’ texting” party in South Miami Dade;
- and a rigorous door to door field program targeting lower propensity voters.
We know that Black and Brown communities in Florida matter, and we are making an all-out effort to make sure our voices are being heard in three crucial counties in this primary!
The New Florida Majority is an independent political organization working to increase the voting and political power of marginalized and excluded constituencies toward an inclusive, equitable, and just Florida. They train grassroots citizens to be leaders, mobilize communities to vote, educate the public, and inspire Floridians to take action toward their dreams.